Who is this qualification for?
The BTEC Higher National qualifications in Business are aimed at students wanting to continue their education through applied learning. Higher Nationals provide a wide-ranging study of the business sector and are designed for students who wish to pursue or advance their career in business. In addition to the knowledge, understanding and skills that underpin the study of the business sector, Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Business give students experience of the breadth and depth of the sector that will prepare them for further study or training.
Individuals who apply for any of the BTEC Business pathways will obtain an internationally recognised qualification that prepares them for roles in industry, while gaining a sound understanding of the chosen business pathway in general. The courses are suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- School leavers
- Mature students returning to education (with related work experience)
- Individuals in employment who wish to improve their career prospects
- Individuals who wish to start their own business.
Aims of the Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business
The Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business offers students six specialist pathways designed to support progression into relevant occupational areas or on to degree-level study. These pathways are linked to Professional Body standards (where appropriate) and can provide professional status and progression to direct employment.
Holders of the Level 5 Higher National Diploma will have developed a sound understanding of the principles in their field of study and will have learned to apply those principles more widely. They will have learned to evaluate the appropriateness of different approaches to solving problems. They will be able to perform effectively in their chosen field and will have the qualities necessary for employment in situations requiring the exercise of personal responsibility and decision-making.
Why should I do an HND course?
- Gain a globally recognised qualification.
- Ideal platform to move straight into employment, or on to undergraduate studies or a professional course.
- Gain direct entry into the 2nd or 3rd year of a bachelor’s degree at university (subject to entry requirements).
- Funding opportunities available subject to assessment by Student Finance England.
What else could these qualifications lead to?
The Level 5 Higher National Diploma is recognised by Higher Education providers as meeting admission requirements to many relevant business-related courses, for example:
- BSc (Hons) in Business and Management
- BA and BSc (Hons) in Business Studies
- BSc (Hons) in International Management.
Students should always check the entry requirements for degree programmes at specific Higher Education providers. After completing a BTEC Higher National Certificate or Diploma, students can also progress directly into employment.