ABOUT THE COURSE
The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is a teaching qualification that involves investigation and research into current practice, theories and models relating to education and training.
The qualification has a teaching/training practice requirement. It is an ‘in service’ qualification designed for those who work or want to work as teachers/trainers in the further education and skills sector, including those who are not in a teaching role, or who have just started a teaching role, and include Award-size qualifications for those who want a short qualification to enable them to make career choices.
It may be possible for pre-service teachers/trainers (defined as those who are not formally contracted as teachers/trainers) to also complete this qualification. All candidates will have access to 100 hours of teaching.
Candidates who successfully complete this qualification will take an analytical and practical approach to all aspects of planning, delivering, and assessing inclusive teaching and learning. Whilst doing this, candidates will embed theories and principles in education and training and demonstrate them in their practice. Students will be expected to demonstrate their ability to transfer the findings of their research into their own practice.
Candidates who have already achieved some Learning and Development units can carry those units forward into this qualification.
WHAT DOES THIS COURSE COVER?
The qualification covers the knowledge and skills required by teachers in the further education and skills sector, such as:
- The roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training
- Inclusive teaching and learning approaches
- Assessment of learners
- Facilitating learning and development for individuals
- Facilitating learning and development in groups
- Understanding principles and practices of assessment.
WHAT YOU STUDY
- Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
- Developing teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
- Wider professional practice in development in education and training
- Theories, principles and modules in education and training.
Having a Level 4 qualification is the minimum entry requirement.
Applicants should also have GCSE grade 4 or C or above in Maths and English, or equivalent.
If your first language is not English, you will be required to provide evidence of English language proficiency level such as International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.0 overall (with a minimum 5.5 in each skill).
Assessment is through assignments, observations, professional discussion, and students undertaking a minimum of 100 hours teaching. Upon completion of the course, students can apply for Qualified Teacher and Learning Skills status (QTLS) through the Education and Training Foundation.
This course will help you develop your career in post-compulsory education, including promotion to a more senior position such as course leader.
The qualification can help you to progress in teaching/training roles in a wide range of organisations in the lifelong learning sector. These include:
- Public sector organisations
- Private sector organisations
- Further Education, Adult and Community Education
The qualification allows progression to the following City & Guilds qualifications:
- Professional recognition qualifications
- Level 5 Diplomas in specialist teaching
This programme is expected to start running from the week commencing 17th of January 2022.
This programme is delivered on a blended learning mode as follows:
- Thursday evenings from 6pm – 9pm (Virtual)
- Friday evenings from 6pm – 9pm (Virtual)
- Saturdays all day, from 9.30am – 4.30pm (On campus, face to face)
Centre Number: 004589
Qualification Name: Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training
Qualification Number: 6502-51
Awarding Body: City & Guilds