BTEC HIGHER NATIONALS IN BUSINESS
Who is this qualification for?
The BTEC Higher National qualifications in Business are aimed at students wanting to continue their education through applied learning. Higher Nationals provide a wide-ranging study of the business sector and are designed for students who wish to pursue or advance their career in business. In addition to the knowledge, understanding and skills that underpin the study of the business sector, Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Business give students experience of the breadth and depth of the sector that will prepare them for further study or training.
Individuals who apply for any of the BTEC Business pathways will obtain an internationally recognised qualification that prepares them for roles in industry, while gaining a sound understanding of the chosen business pathway in general. The courses are suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- School leavers
- Mature students returning to education (with related work experience)
- Individuals in employment who wish to improve their career prospects
- Individuals who wish to start their own business.
Aims of the Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business
The Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business offers students six specialist pathways designed to support progression into relevant occupational areas or on to degree-level study. These pathways are linked to Professional Body standards (where appropriate) and can provide professional status and progression to direct employment.
Holders of the Level 5 Higher National Diploma will have developed a sound understanding of the principles in their field of study and will have learned to apply those principles more widely. They will have learned to evaluate the appropriateness of different approaches to solving problems. They will be able to perform effectively in their chosen field and will have the qualities necessary for employment in situations requiring the exercise of personal responsibility and decision-making.
Why should I do an HND course?
- Gain a globally recognised qualification.
- Ideal platform to move straight into employment, or on to undergraduate studies or a professional course.
- Gain direct entry into the 2nd or 3rd year of a bachelor’s degree at university (subject to entry requirements).
- Funding opportunities available subject to assessment by Student Finance England.
What else could these qualifications lead to?
The Level 5 Higher National Diploma is recognised by Higher Education providers as meeting admission requirements to many relevant business-related courses, for example:
- BSc (Hons) in Business and Management
- BA and BSc (Hons) in Business Studies
- BSc (Hons) in International Management.
Students should always check the entry requirements for degree programmes at specific Higher Education providers. After completing a BTEC Higher National Certificate or Diploma, students can also progress directly into employment.
On successful completion of the programme you will be awarded a BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma.
Modes of Delivery
- Full-time (HNC and HND)
- Distance / Virtual Learning
- Blended Learning
The units are assessed using a variety of assignments, class based activities and presentations.
Duration of Programme
- 24 months (if starting from HNC)
- 12 months (if progressing from HNC)
- £6000 (per annum)
Classroom lessons and our virtual learning environment are used to deliver all resources for this course including:
- Study materials
- Tutor support
- External resources
- Discussion with other students
- Workload: 15 hours per week
The Student Voice
Students are at the heart of our delivery. Pearson consulted with students in the development of these qualifications. Students were involved in writing groups, their feedback was sought, and their voices added together with the views of other stakeholders. The results are qualifications that will meet the needs and expectations of students worldwide.
The entry requirements for our Level 4 programs are:
- Applicants must be 18 or over
- Open Entry: At least one GCE A level pass, with supporting passes at GCSE at Grades A, B or C in appropriate subjects
- Mature entry: Appropriate work experience
- APEL / APL: Students already in employment or with relevant previous experience
- English Language Competency/Requirements
In order for students to be successful on Pearson BTEC Higher National qualifications which are both taught and assessed in English, it is critical that they have an appropriate level of English language skills. Students are required to demonstrate suitable levels of English competence.
- General Entry Requirements
Christ the Redeemer College London seeks to recruit students of outstanding achievement and potential from all educational backgrounds.
This means that good examination results are the main factor in the admission of students to our courses with at least a Grade C in English and Mathematics at GCSE O Level or equivalent. In addition to this, we can also use other information supplied to us to ensure we admit students with the most outstanding potential. This information might include prior and predicted grades, evidence of knowledge and commitment in your personal statement, employer and teacher references, performance at interview and any exceptional circumstances or personal barriers to learning that you have faced. This allows us to build up a full and rounded view of all our applicants. Although Pearson does not specify formal entry requirements, as a centre we take responsibility to ensure that our prospective students have a reasonable expectation of success on the programme. For students who have recently been in education, the entry profile therefore, is likely to include one of the following:
- A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Business
- A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C (or equivalent)
- Other related Level 3 qualifications
- An Access to Higher Education Certificate awarded by an approved further education institution
- Related work experience
- An international equivalent of the above
We consider applicants’ prior learning when considering their acceptance on a BTEC Higher Nationals, through Recognition of Prior Learning.
Any students considered to be eligible for exemptions for prior study, must first have this confirmed by the awarding body of the programme they have applied for.
January, April, September
HND BTEC BUSINESS CORE UNITS AND PATHWAYS
The college offers the following pathways in Pearson BTEC HND Business. Please read these in conjunction with the Business Specification document.